Thursday, November 1, 2007

Welcome!

By popular demand, I've decided to launch a fantasy football blog!

In the inordinate amount of time I've spent analyzing fantasy football, there are a couple of pervasive problems I've seen:

  1. "Standard" formats make absolutely no sense. The distribution of points in standard scoring formats, in some cases, is unintuitive (and easily corrected); the composition of rosters in standard leagues is also strategically unintuitive, in my opinion.
  2. So-called professional analysts under-utilize or mis-utilize statistics and econometrics to draw conclusions. Too often, data is "cooked," misinterpreted, and/or variables are omitted to leave the reader with inferences which are questionable.
  3. Matchup management confuses at least as often as it clarifies. Fantasy analysts seem to think that people expect them to know the right answer to everything. Sometimes the best method for choosing a starter is to simply flip a coin. Other times, there are good empirical indicators of the right starter.
My goal with this blog is to offer my point of view on these issues and perhaps provide some authentic, insightful analysis to help give you an edge on Sunday. All feedback is welcome!

As this is not intended to be an ego-inflating exercise, I wish to keep this blog anonymous. As such, I will simply refer to myself as "Football Geek." I hope that you find the content helpful and thought-provoking.

No comments: